Monday, October 04, 2010

fish bum

fishbumzine2

among other things i've been doing instead of updating the blog is making a fishing zine. this is the first zine i've produced in probably five years, since the one Casey and i did for the art show "The Dogs" in LA. i guess with all this digital/internet stuff i wanted to make a physical object again. this one focuses on urban fishing, with the idea that i'd go around the city and find the hidden spots still left along the city's riverbanks, and talk to the people who've been fishing them for years and years. there's a lot of history in these waters; and it's not just the foul history of dumping raw sewage and oil. this first issue is about part of the East River, with a focus on the Brooklyn Fishing Derby, which i helped organize this year. Hit me up if you want a copy. i may ask for a buck or two for postage. Letterpress cover via Vandercook Universal 3 (sticking to the technical aspect of this blog). the guts are ghetto photocopy. photos by me, and friends maria haddad, liz amoroso, and geralyn shukwit. maria also designed and laid out the pages, some of which i screwed up in the cutter.

more photos and possible things of interest coming up soon.

6 comments:

AC said...

this sounds great - i'll send you extra postage if you stick my arthur koestler book in the package. ha!

mikey said...

if you weren't too cool to come back to the old neighborhood you could just pick them both up!

GARYONBEER said...

I'm going to mail you a dollar. Save me one. You worm.

AC said...

the old hood is too cool for me! save a copy for me and i'll stop by soon. out to sf next week - missing anything from the left coast?

mikey said...

missing a lot.

sarahluvsallie said...

I liked it so much I read it twice.